Chris LaVancher released his second full-length album in February 2018 – “Big Fat Love” is a collection of songs full of heart from a seasoned and skilled craftsman mining life’s subject matter – home, family, nostalgia, purpose, first kisses and love.
His song Nostalgia from the new album received an honorable mention in the 2018 Woody Gutherie Folk Festival Songwriting Contest. In 2014 Chris was selected as a Falcon Ridge Folk Festival Emerging Artist and got to perform on the main stage. He was also selected to perform in the Suzi Wollenberg Folk DJ showcase at the North East Regional Folk Alliance.
Chris’s performance evokes a mini-movie festival in your head, complete with a full soundtrack. He writes cinematic, character-driven songs – from a farm girl’s beauty-queen-moment in the 4th of July parade, to the wild cast of characters in a run-down traveling circus, to the gun-toting rube who falls victim to a young con-girl and her boyfriend Elvis.
He grew up in the hills of North Central Pennsylvania where he learned to observe the many wonderful characters that inhabited that little town. It was, and still is, quite a special hidden gem of place filled with a surprising number of artists, musicians, creative types and downright interesting people. Today he lives just north of Boston Massachusetts, a Mecca of sorts for folk singers and songwriters, but much of his inspiration still goes back to that little town in Pennsylvania.
2014 Falcon Ridge Folk Festival Emerging Artist – Chris LaVancher spins tales from such a genuine, heartfelt place you can’t help but believe his stories and love the broken characters that inhabit them.
Full Bio – click here.
High Res Photos
Buzzing noise in this video stops after the first few seconds.
- 2018 Honorable Mention in Woody Gutherie Folk Festival Songwriting Contest.
- Big Fat Love debuted at #14 on the Folk DJ international charts and stayed in the top album listing for 4 months.
- 2014 Falcon Ridge Folk Festival Emerging Artist.
- Lizard Lounge Open Mic Challenge Winner – 10/13/2014
- Chris’s debut CD Roadside Attractions reached #34 on the Folk DJ List (the global discussion forum for folk djs) for May 2012 and was in the top 70 from April to July 2012.
- Roadside Attractions earns Honorable Mention in Top Picks of 2012 on Four Strong Winds KVMR Nevada City, CA
Shows of Note
- Falcon Ridge Folk Festival Emerging Artist Showcase 2014
- Suzi Wollenberg Folk DJ showcase at NERFA (North East Regional Folk Alliance) selected by Bob Weiser WOMR Provincetown, MA
- Formal showcase at the one-day NERFA (North East Regional Folk Alliance) conference in Rhode Island
- Double Bill with Randall Kromm at Club Passim in Cambridge MA
- Opened for Mark Erelli at the Linden Tree in Wakefield, MA
- Double-bill with Jake Armerding at the Buttonwood Tree Performing Arts & Cultural Center in Middletown, CT
- CD Release Show at The Burren in Somerville MA
- Deane Center for the Performing Arts in Wellsboro PA
- Open Mic Features – Don White’s Open Mic in Lynn MA, the open mic at TCAN (The Center for the Arts Natick, MA), LOMA at the Lincoln Library in Lincoln MA, Amazing Things Art Center in Framingham MA, The Coffeehouse at The Mews in Provincetown MA, Harvest Cafe in Hudson MA, Ten West Espresso Co in Mansfield PA
- Live radio performance/interviews – WSCS New London, NH, WOMR Provincetown, MA and WESU in Middletown, CT.
- TV appearances – The Song – an award winning television show that presents songwriters, composers, lyricists and their original songs hosted by Mary Wheelan South Deerfield MA and Local Music Rocks on Westford CAT hosted by Ike Keltz.
What People Are Saying
“LaVancher writes songs that tell stories of love among the ruins. His characters may not be from the highest rungs of society, but their feelings come through loud and clear.” Darius Rips – Oliver di Place Music Blog.
“His work speaks of love and loss, of dreams and schemes, all delivered from the heart-felt place of a keen observer of the human condition.” Music in Melrose Coffeehouse.
“A story teller and singer, who develops the characters in his songs with precision and expertise. His record Roadside Attractions … is studded with intricate picking and Lavancher’s soothing, friendly vocal work.” Red Line Roots Music Blog
“Chris is someone that I had heard about for years and was fortunate enough to meet recently. His songs are on par with some of the best I’ve heard not just in New England, but across the country.” Robert Mattson – Upton House Concerts
“I met Chris LaVancher and his wife Esther at the Falcon Ridge Folk Festival this year. I enjoyed their performance at the Emerging Artist Showcase so much that I immediately pursued them to perform at Prospect Range.” Don Duggan – Brooklyn Music Shop Presents at Prospect Range
“I listen to too many CDs for the station, but yours has jumped right out at me from the pile I have to screen. Absolutely wonderful with great songs, vocals, arrangements; it has it all.” Bill Rivell host of Acoustic Blender – WESU 88.1 Middletown CT
“I’ve really enjoyed playing your album on my show the last few weeks. I have to say, there’s something about your songwriting that feels so genuine. … it seems like you aren’t writing songs just for the sake of writing songs.” Bradley Kolodner host of Hobo’s Lullaby on WICB 91.7 Ithaca, NY
“Great songs from an up and coming songwriter. Chris is definitely one to watch.” Jon Colcord host of Out of the Woods WSCS 90.0
“Chris LaVancher is a singer/songwriter from North Reading with a true folk style. … Through his seamless lyrics, he transports the listener to a different time, a different place, and lets you relive another’s life.” EYEWITNESS: UNLEASHING CREATIVITY IN LYNN –North Shore Art Throb